Saturday, March 24, 2012

A typical day with Jude

Since I will be going back to work in about 3 weeks, I thought I would document my time with him with an explanation of what we do on a typical day.  Jude at this point usually gets up 3 times a night.  Liz usually takes the first shift between 1-2am am and I take the next two, usually from 2-3 and 4-5am.  Then, Jude wakes up to stay up between 5:30 am-7:30am.  When he get up, he is really attentive and active.  He spends time under his baby tv attached to his play mat and with his “friends” which is his mobile.  We have a song and dance portion of our morning.  This is not baby songs, he gets enough of those under his toys and I sing him some nursery rhymes to fall asleep at night.  Instead, I put on songs from our Itunes.  Today it was a song from Dido, Elton John, PJ Harvey, and then he got bored on a song from Fleetwood Mac.  He did hear the song the day before in his defense.  We sit and I bounce him on my knee to the beat and sing and wave his hands around some and then when we feel like it, we get up and dance around the nursery.  Today it was to PJ Harvey’s We Float.  Dancing consists of holding him close and me stepping around his nursery singing to him.

Then, it is usually time to play with his toys.  He loves to look at his long loopy toy.  It is one of those toys that are always at the Drs. office.  With the round wood blocks that are different shapes and go thru different paths.  I make noises for each of the paths and he stares in wonder.  He has a lot of bright, noisy, toys I will pull out and play with until he gets bored.  Then, we will do some tummy time with a mirror or me encouraging him.  Thru all of this, he will cry and eat some.  By 12pm he is starting to truly get sleepy.  He dozes and we cuddle.  I love cuddling with him.  He is so sweet and warm and just adorable!    We have started truly putting him down for a nap at 2pm.  We noticed he stopped sleeping very well thru the day and read it is important he gets good sleep thru the day too.  So, today we decided to swaddle him at 2pm to nap along with our swaddling we do at 7:30pm for his bed time.  He also started sleeping in his crib for the first time last night.  I had a small break down since he is usually next to my side of the bed, but I think both him and I slept better thru the night because of it.

So then, when he gets up, he is less attentive and usually 5pm is what we have called “the crying hour” for reasons you can probably guess.  The unfortunate thing is that this is right when Liz gets home from work, so she does not get to spend nice mornings with him.  Next week is her last day of work, so she will get to experience it soon!  Around 7:30 or 8pm, we feed him his last bottle and he goes off to bed.

I am going to miss these days soooo much with going back to work.  I am tearing up just thinking about it.  I hope being at work still means we have a great relationship and that he does not forget me.  I think he will remember me since I had this nice bonding time and I smell like food to him still, but I do really fear not being around as much that he will forget me and how close we have become.  Plus, I am going to miss him like crazy being at work so much!  Liz keeps telling me I still have 2 days with him a week I am home, but it just does not seem like enough after all this time I have had with him.  It’s what we have to do and Liz being at home is really important to us and it makes me feel better that she is here and not a stranger, but I am still sad.

On the breast pumping front, I have completely quit at this point and my breast hurt!  My Dr. said to put on a tight bra and ice them and eventually they will get better.  I have and they are full of milk at this point and huge.  I just had Liz get me some cabbage leaves to help and currently am rocking those in my bra:)  Well, Jude is up, so off I go!
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment