Thursday, January 3, 2013

Resolution Revolution

I love New Years.  I love the idea of starting over, beginning fresh, and giving yourself another chance to make things right in your life.  Every year I think of how can I make things different, better.  And I make the same sorts of resolutions year after year and almost always, I fail.  But I think I get closer and closer every year and that makes it worth it.  I’m the happiest I’ve ever been and that counts for something, don’t you think?

So this year, these are my resolutions:
1. Stop avoiding.  I avoid things I don’t like, put them off, procrastinate, whatever you want to call it.  And I’ve got to stop doing that, especially when it comes to my health.  So to be more specific, this year it is my goal to get to the following appointments- physical, gyno, and dentist.  And I know for most people this doesn’t sound like any big deal, most of you probably do all 3 of these basic check ups every year, but for me, I dread it.  So much in fact that it has been MORE THAN 10 years since I have been to the gyno or the dentist, and probably 3-4 years since my last physical.  This must change.

2. In accordance with number 1, I need to get healthy.  Getting those appointments done will help, but that's not all that needs to get done.  S and I are going to rejoin Weight Watchers on Monday.  S already joined her gym at work and hopefully I will be feeling good enough to at least start going on walks again soon.

3. Less Stuff.  We have WAY too much stuff.  I have already cleared out our mountain of cheap Tupperware and just that little bit of letting go and organizing felt really good.  So my goal this year to clear out at least one area of the house a month until things are simple and clean again.  Or at least as clean as they can be with an almost 1 year old in the house.

4. More art, less TV.  This is a hard one because of my problems with my leg it is hard for me to sit in my art studio for very long and work on art/crafts, but it is possible.  I have 10,000 ideas for paintings, crafts, and such and I need to get on it.  The more art I do, the better I feel.

5. Focus on my marriage.  Sometimes, with a baby in the house and the normal demands of life, my marriage gets put on the back burner.  And while I think it’s natural that Jude is our focus now, we still need to make sure to reconnect.  So I hope to reinvest, connect, and love more.  Try to do nice things just to be nice, more kisses, more compliments, more surprises.  More love.

Anyone else make any resolutions this year?
-Liz

4 comments:

  1. Great resolutions! You've inspired me to makes some of my own now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like excellent goals for the new year. I don't tend to make resolutions, but will try to continue working on being in the moment, enjoying small things, taking time to show the people I love how special they are to me and focussing on the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful Liz! I am behind you 100%. Let me know if you need some cheerleading. Love you! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number 3 is a great one. I know there are a bunch of places like Salvation Army or Goodwill that takes things but just another thought is a local hospital. I work for a poor hospital and they are always in need of clothing and shoes and things like that. It makes me feel good to donate and know that people who are very needy are getting it, not just the resale shops everyone gives stuff to.

    ReplyDelete